fusible link problem with Creda TSR 79161

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catfishjoe

Reaction score
Hi.

I have a Creda TSR model 79161 ( which has the problem) in my downstairs hall and an older automatic Creda upstairs. We are on an off-peak tariff, which gives us power from 2400 to 0700, with a boost from 1400 to 1600. Recently we had a timer-clock problem which gave us off-peak power 24/7, this burnt out most of the elements in the TSR, but the fusible link remained intact (the upstairs Creda seems to have survived untouched). All the elements (4) were replaced by a local guy and it heated up with no problems, however we have been having intermittent problems with the replacement timer-clock and fusible links ( three in all) have been melting. The timer clock has now been replaced again, for a fully working one this time, we hope, but I don't know if the power being on a few hours extra now and then is the cause of the melting fusible links or if it's lightly to be something else. The contacts on the thermostat under the input control flick open and closed when the **** is turned. So should I be thinking about replacing the two copper sensors under the unit? New fusible links have been ordered, but replacing them is getting to be an expensive business for just a few days heat, so I would appreciate any advice.

ps: I am not an electrician and I don't have any testing kit.

Many thanks in advance for any help you can give me. If further informaion would be helpful please let me know.

Catfishjoe.

are the replacement elements the correct rating? if they are too powerful could they not be using too much power, and melting the thermal link? and is the new thermal links the correct rating? some have different melting temperatures

and it may be possible to order a replacement thermal trip instead of melting one

The new elements came from and were fitted by the original supplier of the heater, so I have to assume they are ok. The idea of a thermal trip interests me, but I hadn't thought they were an interchangeable part. Any further information would be helpful; we tend to get quite a few mini power cuts as we are pretty much at the end of the power line, so anything resettable would be a useful addition.

the melting links were used until the trip links became more common. if you get a thermal trip to the same temp rating as melting link, you can modify it slightly to accept the new link. just make sure you put it in the same location tho, if it doesnt fit, dont move it to a void at the bottom of the heater thats always cold unless the house is on fire. by that time it may be too late to cut out...

But the most obvious thing is to find out why its melting in the first place. has a cover been put back wrong so the link is getting more heat than it should, or the vent is now partially blocked so the inside is hotter than it should be? does someone put their clothes ontop to dry when your not looking?

We learned about the clothes drying mistake the hard way, many years ago, that was when I learnt to change the fusible link. The cover has to be in the correct position or the fixing screws wont fit. The vent? I'm not sure about that, I gave the accessible area inside the cover a good vacuum when I last changed the fusible link. The possibility of too much heat was why I wondered if those two copper sensors fitted underneath the heater might need replacing.

Latest posts