Wiring Lights

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adam_randell

Reaction score
Hi Guys, first post!

I have US spec wheel arch trims on my MINI which have side lights in them. I have them wired up to the side lights currently but I want to also wire them to the indicators. 

So basically I want to have the side lights on when the side lights are on, and when the indicator is on, the lights should flash.

If anyone has any ideas on how this can be achieved please let me know :)

Thanks in advance!!

Need to understand a bit more logic of what you are expecting here I think...

e.g.

a)  when not indicating you want the wheel arch lights to come on if the sidelights are on...

b) when side lights are off but you are indicating you want the wheel arch lights to flash with the indicators..

c) but what about if the sidelights are already on? do you want the indicators to turn off to flash until the indicating has finished then return back on with the side lights?

also..

what is the legality of common light with respect to the colour of the lamps for indicators??

Welcome by the way.

Guinness

Last edited by a moderator:
Check on the type approval for this vehicle.

That should tell you what you might NOT

be able to do.  Since you are altering the

original design, your insurer may need to

know.

I would warrant and wager a slap up meal at Mrs Miggins pastie emporium that the Traffic Plod would have some less than Christian comments on your proposed setup!    They don't like number plate spacings to be too close!.........so making you wheel arches flash could possibly result in sharing a cell with Stuart Hall

That is exactly right Trailer Boy. Oh and they are single filament 501 bulbs.

This is the same setup as most US cars and I know a lot of people with VWs over here do the same modification but I have no idea how to go about doing it.

Orange sidelights are legal over here. Look at Volvos, BMW 5 Series etc etc. They all have orange side lights on the front / sides. As does my Mercedes Sprinter van.

The fact of it flashing as an extra indicating signal, surely this can only be good. I am sure the insurance would like to know about the modification, as they have about all of my other mods so I will certainly inform them. 

:)

there is nothing wrong with what he is wanting, an not againt RVLR, providing both are amber

a common way is to use the same bulb you normally use in the side/stop light at the back, use smaller filiment for side light, use brighter for indicator

HGV trailers are now being fitted with sidelights with indicators, you indicate and all sidelights on that side flash.

TBH initially I thought that the DOT might have a problem with this, however on looking it up it seems that there shouldn't be a problem.

So...

Here's my attempt at a diagram,, you'll need one for each side!

Image-1821079038.png

OH and you might need to run the side light supply through another relay so that it doesn't overload the side light circuit

Thanks very much for all your help guys, massively appreciated. I will give it a go and see how it goes :)  

So this above diagram will allow me to use the same single filament bulb for both jobs? 

Thanks very much for all your help guys, massively appreciated. I will give it a go and see how it goes :)

So this above diagram will allow me to use the same single filament bulb for both jobs? 

yes, but indicators will only work when sidelights are on

EDIT:

Noz's diagram is no good, the indicator will flash on when indicator is off, and off when the indicator is on. all indicators must in sync at the same time

Last edited by a moderator:
i had a go just, with a 3W diode. I wired it in and the side lights come on, and the arch light flashed wen i put the indicator on, however it flashes opposite to the indicator. For example, when the indicator flashes on, the arch light goes off. when the arch light flashes on, the indicator light goes off etc etc etc

i had a go just, with a 3W diode. I wired it in and the side lights come on, and the arch light flashed wen i put the indicator on, however it flashes opposite to the indicator. For example, when the indicator flashes on, the arch light goes off. when the arch light flashes on, the indicator light goes off etc etc etc

Which is what Andy said in post #9, that drawing is no good as it will be out of synch...

You problem is you need two different conditions of flash..

When sidelights are on you must flash wheel arch OFF when the indicator goes off.. 

BUT when sidelights are off you need to flash the wheel arch ON when the indicator is on...

Unless of course Side lights are always on?

are they manual or DRL's??

If you have something from the indicator turning the wheel arch off,

by logic as you are most of the time NOT indicating..

this would be turning the wheel arch lights OFF all of the time!!!

Think you would probably need either twin filament lamps or two sets of lamps..

Or have them as ONLY indicator or ONLY side lights, not both..

The lights are manual, wired to the side lights however I usually run my side lights all of the time anyway.

Surely there must be some way of doing it? I admit I know very little about electronics so may be being extremely naive. 

Yes it IS doable, but IMHO would need a vehicle wiring diagram.

Are the sidelights "sided"?

You may need an enclosure, some Vero board & some components, but it can be done.

You want:

Sidelights then they stay on

Or

Sidelights & indicators then they flash

Or

Indicators then they flash

Yes?